Minnesota Meets CaliforniaMinnesota Meets CaliforniaMinnesota Meets CaliforniaMinnesota Meets CaliforniaMinnesota Meets California

Saturday, August 28, 2010

It's been TEN DAYS!!

A couple of months ago I decided that I wanted to fulfill my desire to go back to school to pursue my Bachelors in Criminal Justice. Back in 2007, I double majored and graduated with my AS in Criminal Justice and my AA in Behavioral and Social Sciences.

Here's a little back story:

My mother passed away in 2004. While she was in the hospital, a few months before she passed, we were discussing all kinds of life experiences; past, present and future. One of the goals I shared with her was my desire to get my college degree. At that point, I was just one month shy of my 36th birthday. We were discussing the fact that I felt I was too old to "go back to school". Of course, my mother thought it was all nonsense on my part.

After my mom passed away, I felt the urge to do the one thing she asked of me. And that was to pursue my dreams. My life's goals. So, I bit the bullet and went back to school.

Summer of 2005, at the age of 37 I enrolled in college. I hit it hard. I was working part time off campus, part time on campus, and carried a full load. I remember one semester taking 18 units! Of course, I had to petition to take the extra units because 15 units was considered max at the time.

In the Spring of 2007, at the age of 39 I graduated! Woo Hoo!!!! Go Me!!!




After graduation, I had every intention on pursuing my Bachelors at that time. But I decided I needed to take a semester off. A much needed break from school. Well, one semester led to two semesters.. then three... then, well, you get the point.

Which brings us to present time. 3 years later ~ August, 2010 at the ripe old age of 42, I am once again a College Student.

Then only thing that (excuse my language) SUCKS about it is the fact that since I took more than two semesters off, I have lost my catalog rights, therefore the Breadth Requirements to transfer to a University has changed. Yes, that's right, additional class requirements have been added therefore, there are few more classes that I have to take at the JC level before I can transfer to Stanislaus State. (Or any University for that matter).

10 days ago, I walked on campus for my first class. Can I just tell you that although I know I am WAY older than 95% of the students there, I was relieved to see that there are people I assume to be my age, if not OLDER?!? I did feel out of place in a couple of my classes where the kids are fresh out of High School (like my Algebra class)and here I am, old enough to be their mother, sitting in class with them. Quite humbling actually.

My first obstacle in my quest to transfer came the first day of classes. I walked into my Physics Class and the "Professor of Physics" as she labeled herself, was very intimidating! I sat thru the lecture listening to a bunch of mumble jumble and walked out of class not knowing what the heck she was talking about!! It was kinda like:

"If you're at the top of the Empire State Building and you drop a sharpened pencil over the railing into a Starbucks Cup which is at the base of the building, at what speed was the pencil spiraling downward to make that much of a hole in the bottom of the cup upon impact?"

Those type of questions. I'm all good with the "Distance equals Rate times Time" kind of scenarios, but talk about confused!!!

PHYSICS = EPIC FAIL

So, after a week of classes, I had to drop my Physics class. Physics is just not my cup of tea. I do need another Science Class to fulfill my transfer requirements, so I will be having to take SOMETHING one way or another.

It's been a butt kicking 10 days for me (since I last blogged AND since classes started) and I am not liking it at all. However, I am so very lucky to have a WONDERFUL husband who is very supportive of me. It's with his support emotionally that helps me get through the days!!

Oh... another thing that's been helping me get thru my 7 a.m. Algebra class is my favorite in the whole, wide world!!
Mmmm... A Grande Caramel Frappucinno with Caramel around the cup! Yummy!!

xoxoxoxo



2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I jumped all around the science department when I was in school way back in the day (I'm 48 so a few years ahead of you in life!) so I would NOT have to take any MATH classes! I feel your pain! Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on going back!! I do remember looking at my "professors" in college, whom were younger than me and thinking "I should be teaching, not taking!" But I did get some special "favors" because they knew that I was serious about school and not just there on Mommy and Daddy's dime. And with a degree in Kinesiology, I couldn't escape the Physics or Biophysics classes. I barely squeaked by with a little help from my friends. Trajectory, angles, speed, acceleration and deceleration...it makes my head hurt!! Chemistry wasn't any better. Good luck with that! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing any comments you may have! I appreciate it! Thanks for following!